If you want the lowest maintenance plants possible, here they are! It’s so easy to learn how to care for air plants—you’ll be hooked!
Air plants are a group of plants that don’t need soil to grow. Air plants are epiphytes, a type of plant that grows on other plants rather than in soil.
They get almost all of their nutrients from the air and they can also thrive in artificial, fluorescent light.
However, they do require water, but you can easily water them on a schedule. Just set a timer on your phone!
They look stunning in terrariums and tend to be very small, so this is the plant for you if you don’t have a lot of light or space in your home. They’re so hardy that you can even hot-glue them to things for decoration and give them a gentle misting a few times a week.
They can even produce flowers!
Here’s how to care for these super low-maintenance plants.
How to Care for Air Plants
You can stick an air plant just about anywhere as long as there is some indirect sunlight or even artificial light—so anything but a dark closet.
Air plants do need to be watered sometimes.
Once a week in the summer and every two weeks or so in the winter, give your air plant’s roots a 15-minute soak in a shallow dish of water. Place it upside down on a towel to dry, and when it’s no longer cool to the touch, put it back in its home. Make sure it’s COMPLETELY dry to prevent mold. Some smaller air plants are happy with a simple misting a few times a week, no soaking required.
Pretty easy, right?
Air plants aren’t fussy with their environment, so they’ll do fine in room temperatures and just about any level of humidity, as long as they don’t mold. If you’re comfortable, they’re comfortable.
The Best Houseplants for Beginners
If you’re just getting into houseplants, it doesn’t get much easier than this! But once you feel like you have the hang of air plants, you may want to check out some of our other guides to easy-to-grow houseplants so you can expand your collection with confidence!
Try these articles:
You can do this! Air plants are gorgeous, fun to grow, and can be arranged in a ton of different ways to add a little pop of life to your space. You’ll fall in love with them!
- Make sure you’re giving your plants the right nutrients! Our Indoor Plant Food works perfectly for almost all indoor plants, and it’s easy to use. Grab it here!
- Use our premium well-draining potting soil for your houseplant.
- Protect your houseplant from insects, bacteria, and fungus with our Houseplant Leaf Armor. (As an added bonus, the Leaf Armor also cleans and adds shine to your houseplant’s leaves!)
- Use a moisture meter like this one to always know how thirsty your plant is.
- Click here to shop live plants!
To learn more:
- Join us for our free Top Secrets From Fiddle Leaf Fig Growers Webinar or enroll in our free Advanced Fiddle Leaf Fig Care Course.
- Read The Fiddle Leaf Fig Expert, your complete guide to growing healthy fiddle leaf fig plants. The book is available in full-color paperback or Kindle edition on Amazon now!
- Click to join our community on Facebook: Fiddle Leaf Fig Plant Resource Group.